So this time we will talk about natural treatment for allergic rhinitis. Having allergy is so much painful, people may have symptoms such as nasal congestion, sneeze, redness on both eye, fatigue, and cough. Those symptoms can be different one another. Generally, allergic rhinitis symptoms are easy to handle. But the symptoms may be worse so that people will difficult to do activity daily.
Allergic Rhinitis Treatments
If you ever felt congestion in your nose after contact or smell with agent allergy (allergen) such as pollen, dust, or vehicle smokes, perhaps you have an allergy. We called it allergic rhinitis. Allergic rhinitis is an inflammation in nose cavity because of allergic reaction. Feel frustrated about it? Here are natural treatments for allergic rhinitis.
Back to our topic, natural treatment for allergic rhinitis. Natural treatment is easy to do, but you will need medical attention if your symptoms as follows:
- The allergic rhinitis symptoms are worse and no relief.
- The over the counter medicine does not work for allergic rhinitis treatment, or the side effects are too difficult.
- You have other disease that can worsen allergic rhinitis like sinusitis, asthma, or polyp.
Please read allergic rhinitis treatment clinically here
Prevention is The Best Treatment for Allergic Rhinitis
Natural treatment for allergic rhinitis is different from one another. The treatment depends on the severity of the symptoms and defect one’s daily living.
1. Avoid allergens
The best treatment for allergic rhinitis is to avoid allergen. This is the only one natural treatment for allergic rhinitis. For instance, if you have dust allergy, you must clean your house regularly.
2. Control the dust and mites
Control dust and dust mites during the allergy season. You can replace your pillows and mattress with dust mite covers. If you have a pet, keep your pet out of your bedroom.
3. Personal Hygiene
Allergic rhinitis can be caused by pollen, so you have considered about your personal hygiene. Pollen can distribute in air during spring, so you have to wear a simple mask when going out to avoid exposure to pollen and dust. Plus, take a bath or shower after coming in from outdoors.
4. Air Conditioner
Instead of fans which bring in outside air, use an air conditioner in your home and car. You also can use a dehumidifier indoors to reduce humidity in your house.
Natural Treatment for Allergic Rhinitis
Allergic rhinitis is difficult to cure, but the symptoms can be improved and controlled through correct natural treatments. The best natural treatment for allergic rhinitis are as follows:
1. Saline Water
The first natural treatment for allergic rhinitis is saline water. Have known what saline water is? The purpose of this saline water is to remove mucus from the nose. It is so much easy to use saline water for allergic rhinitis.
- First, mix 1 table spoon salt and a pinch of baking soda in 2 cups of warm water.
- Use a nasal bulb, insert it into one nostrils.
- Allow the saline water drain back out through another nostril or through mouth.
- Gently blow your nose to remove excess mucus and solution remains.
- Repeat with another nostril with this saline water, you can repeat it until your allergic rhinitis improved.
Note: you can purchase available normal saline solution at the pharmacy.
The second natural treatment for allergic rhinitis is steam. Inhaling steam will help clear the excess mucus in your nose. This natural treatment will help improve your rhinitis symptoms. Follow these steps for using steam for allergic rhinitis.
- Boil a water and pour it in a big bowl.
- Add 3-4 drops of essential oil like eucalyptus, peppermint, rosemary, or tea tree oil.
- Use a towel and cover it on your head over the bowl.
- Deeply inhale the steam for 5-10 minutes, then blow your nose thoroughly.
- Repeat it couples time until you recover completely.
Note: a big bowl of steam is not for children, a hot shower or bath will help them a lot.
Ginger is one of herbal that is useful for allergic rhinitis. Ginger works as a natural antihistamine (anti inflammation) and it has antiviral, antibacterial, and immune-boosting properties that help relieve and improve allergic rhinitis symptoms. Here is how to use ginger for natural treatment for allergic rhinitis:
- Add a tablespoon of grated ginger, and mix it with few cloves and cinnamon in a cup of water.
- Boil that mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add a little honey and lemon juice.
- Drink the herbal approximately a tea spoon to 3 times daily during allergy season.
- For better result, chew small pieces of ginger a couple of time, include ginger in your cooking.
Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant and a natural anti-inflammatory agent, including immune-boosting properties. If you have an allergy, turmeric is the best choice for you. To use turmeric as natural treatment for allergic rhinitis, please follow these steps:
- Mix six tablespoons of turmeric powder and raw honey. Mix it together and store it in refrigerator.
- Consume it 2 times daily during the allergy season.
Note: you can drink 1 glass of warm turmeric daily to keep your immune system strong. And you can also use turmeric in your cooking. Now turmeric is available in supplements tablet.
Garlic is the best natural antihistamine that provides effective treatment for allergic rhinitis. Garlic consists of antibiotic, antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-boosting properties that can improve allergic rhinitis symptoms. Follow these steps for garlic use as a natural treatment;
- Chew 2-3 raw garlic daily to improve various symptoms of allergic rhinitis. It tastes bizarre if you chew it for the first time.
- Include garlic in your cooking.
- Garlic supplement can benefit for you, if you have seasonal allergic rhinitis. Consult with your doctor for the correct dosage.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another natural treatment for allergic rhinitis is apple cider vinegar. This is an effective remedy for allergic rhinitis due to its antibiotic and antihistamine properties. Apple cider vinegar help improve symptoms like frequent sneezing, nasal congestion, headache, and others. This remedy is also has immune system boosting properties.
Follow these steps for using apple cider vinegar:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of organic and apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and lemon tea mixture.
- Drink it at least 3 times daily or during the allergy season.
7. Stinging Nettle
Stinging nettle is a remedy that has been used as an antihistamine and anti-inflammatory agent. This is an alternative medicine for allergic rhinitis. The effect of stinging nettle is to improve symptoms like nasal congestion, coughing, sneezing, and itching.
Follow these steps for using stinging nettle as a natural treatment for allergic rhinitis:
- Add 1 tablespoon of dried stinging nettle leaf into a cup of warm water. Cover it and steep for 5 minutes. It is better if it is added 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this herbal 2-3 times daily or until our allergic rhinitis symptoms disappear.
- Stinging nettle is also available in supplement (600 mg daily for a week). Consult with your doctor for correct dosage.
This stinging nettle is not recommended for pregnant women and young children.
8. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling had been used for allergic rhinitis. This is a technique that can help draw our irritants from your body. Not only that, oil pulling can benefit to get rid of harmful toxins, which is essential to remain healthy throughout the year. You can use oil pulling for natural treatment for allergic rhinitis as follows:
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of sesame oil or coconut oil in your mouth.
- Swish the oil in your mouth gently for 15-20 minutes.
- Then spit it out, and rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat this technique daily, especially in the morning before brushing your teeth.
9. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is the best properties for allergic rhinitis. Vitamin C has antihistamine that can reduce allergy symptoms in allergic rhinitis. You had already known the benefit of vitamin C in immune system, hadn’t you? Yes, it can boost your immune system. This in turn will help prevent further infection that cause allergic rhinitis. For better result of natural treatment of allergic rhinitis, please follow these steps;
- Eat food high in vitamin C like orange, lemons, grapefruits, strawberries, and tomatoes.
- Vitamin C is available in store if you want to. Take it daily, but you have to consult to your doctors before taking vitamin C supplement.
Probiotic like Lactobacillus acidophilus can help reduce the frequency of allergic rhinitis symptoms. Probiotics had been proved it has benefit for allergy symptoms in a study by Chinese researchers in 2013. Luckily, probiotics are available in supplement, you can purchase it even in a supermarket. Then use these tips for better use of antibiotic;
- Be smart, and buy a high quality probiotic supplement that has 1-4 billion organism per capsule. Take it twice daily (in the morning and evening)
- You can consume probiotic yogurt on regular basis to boost your immune system.