Do you have allergy to dust, pollen, or mite? The allergic symptoms sometime bother your activity daily. If it so, you have to understand how to care it. Please read allergic rhinitis nursing care. Because this article will explain allergic rhinitis completely.
The allergic rhinitis definition is immune system problem toward inhale allergen on air. Depend on the allergen; rhinitis or conjunctivitis can come out in a certain season (hay fever) or during a year (allergic rhinitis perineal). Allergic rhinitis is a general atopic allergic reaction that attacks many people.
Allergic Rhinitis Cause
There are many allergic rhinitis causes, such as like dust, pollen, mite, etc. But, the main cause of allergic rhinitis is in your immune systems. It means that it is in your genetic.
Immunoglobulin hypersensitivity respond (IgE) plays important role in your allergic rhinitis. It is a type 1 allergic reaction toward environment allergen and as a result of genetic.
Genetic plays important roles in your allergy
Sign and Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis
- Black circle under eye area (allergic inflammation)
- Hay fever
- Excessive tears
- Headache and sinus pain
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion or obstruction
- Frequent sneezing
- Pruritus in nose and eye, include pale, cyanosis, nasal mucus; redness and edema conjunctiva
- Perennial allergic rhinitis
- Chronic nasal obstruction and uncomfortable feeling spreads to eutanachious (a canal that regulate air for ear drum) canal in children
- Nasal polyp
The best allergic rhinitis nursing care depends on diagnosis. The doctor will diagnose allergic rhinitis first, the the nursing care follow it soon.
First of ll diagnosis, the doctors usually check the history and family history of the patient. If all data complete, then the doctors will move to next diagnosis steps.
The next diagnosis test is physical assessment. The focus of these assessments is in respiration system. If the doctors found sign and symptoms of allergic rhinitis such as like frequent sneezing, excessive mucus, etc, the diagnosis will be arisen.
Next diagnosis is microscopic examination in sputum and nasal secretion. The result of it always shows increase eosinophil count
Then, next diagnosis is blood analysis, the doctors will check the immune systems. In this chemical study toward blood will show IgE increase for allergic rhinitis.
To determine allergic reaction toward many allergens, doctors will do skin test procedure. Skin test shows the allergens causes.
- Prevention is the best treatment for allergic rhinitis. So eliminate the allergen if it is possible.
- Immunotherapy or desensitization with allergen injection
- Antihistamine is to reduce the allergic reaction.
- Intranasal steroid is to reduce the allergic reaction stronger.
You can read this article for natural treatment for allergic rhinitis
Allergic Rhinitis Nursing Care
- Allergic rhinitis can be caused by medicine. So the first allergic rhinitis nursing cares are to monitor the obedience of medication. Note any changes in symptoms controlling or medicine abuse
- Before allergen injection procedure, assess the symptoms that are showed by patient. After that, look at the negative reactions like anaphylaxis and severe local erythema.
- Always provide epinephrine and resuscitation tools near the patient, then observe patient reaction after 30 minutes injection. Ask patient to call physician if there is a delay reaction of allergy.
- Teach patient to minimize allergen environment exposure:
- Sleep with windows closed
- Avoid outdoor activity during risky season of pollen
- Use air conditioner with filter to filter allergen on air, minimizing dust, and maintain air humidification
- Keep away from dusty things like blanket, wool, carpet, and curtain in home.
Stay away from pet
- If patient’s condition worsen or resistant toward conventional medication, the patient should consider about life style change like move from house near with pollen environment.