So here we will talk about nursing homes for alzheimer patients. Understanding of the disease will guide you in doing nursing care of alzheimer. Alzheimer’s is a disease that attack elderly people. It is a progressive and develop slowly in elderly.
Alzheimer’s is a disease that attack elderly people. It is a progressive and develop slowly in elderly. So here we will talk about nursing homes for alzheimer patients. Understanding of the disease will guide you in doing nursing care of alzheimer. First of all, let’s have a better look to Alzheimer.
Alzheimer’s disease is a condition where the patients have a sign and symptoms like low cognitive and thinking, and behaviour changes. This disease is a progressive and develop slowly in elderly.
Alzheimer’s or primer degenerative dementia is a big case for 65 years old people. Sign and symptoms of Alzheimer lay on dangerous attack. It is because this disease is primer progressive dementia with bad prognosis.
At the first stage of Alzheimer’s, the symptoms will increase. Then they will difficult to do planning, difficult to speak or express their feeling in their own language, difficult in desicion making, confuse, wandering, emotional changes, and personality changes such as anxiety or agressive.
At the end stage of Alzheimer’s, the patients may have delusion and hallucination, even they become dependent on others help.
Alzheimer’s definite causes is still unknown. There are many factors that increase the risk of Alzheimer’s. Some of them are unhealthy lifestyle, female, 65 years old, and family history of Alzheimer’s. The other factors as follow;
- Environment factors like aluminium and mangan
- Genetic immunology factors
- Neurochemical factors like acetylcholine deficiency, somatostatin, P substance, and norepinephrine
- Viral factors like virus in nervous system
Sign and Symptoms
We can do nursing homes for alzheimer patients, if we have already known the sign and symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. Focus on them for better nursing homes for alzheimer patients.
Alzheimer’s disease development stages are in three stages; early stage, middle stage, and late stage. In early stage of Alzheimer’s, the symptoms of Alzheimer’s is generally difficult to be recognized. It is because the patients presume this symptom as a common symptom in elderly. While the Alzheimer’s develops to next stage, patient’s cognitive and behavior will change significantly.
Early Stage Sign and Symptoms
The development stage of Alzheimer’s in every patient is different. The sign and symptoms usually develops slowly for years.There are sign and symptoms in early stage of Alzheimer’s as follow:
- They forget the thing’s name around, events, and topic of discussion.
- They often getting lost in place they lived.
- They put something in wrong places. For instance, they put plate in toilet, etc.
- They often forget how to use equipments.
- They have trouble in writing.
- They often repeat same question.
- They are difficult in using language.
- They looked like depress.
- They are difficult to adapt or do new things.
- They have no interest with their hobby before.
- They spend time for sleep, sit, and watching TV, and difficult to chat with family.
- Difficult in doing decision making.
Middle Stage Sign and Symptoms
While the Alzheimer’s patients are going into middle stage of Alzheimer’s, Alzheimer’s disease severity before will increase. Patient in this stage need more attention and help in their activity daily living like taking bath, using toilet, get dress, and eatting. Sign and symptoms of Alzheimer’s in middle stage as follow:
- They difficult and memorize family name or their freinds.
- Disorientation of time.
- The patients is confuse where they are.
- Communication problem.
- Agitated, frustation, anxiety, and depression.
- Sight problem.
- Impulsive, repetitive, or obsessive behavior.
- Hallucination and delusion.
Late Stage Sign and Symptoms
Then, the latest stage of Alzheimer’s, the patient needs total supervision and help for their activity daily living. The pressure is not only for patients, but also people around them. The sign and symptoms of late stage Alzheimer’s as follow:
- Severe memory lost.
- Unable to communicate with others.
- Worsen hallucination and delussion.
- It makes the patient suspicious with people around them
- They have infection illness.
- They cannot move without others help.
- Peeing and defecating unconsiously.
- They have no interest in self hygiene.
- Unable to eat.
- Swallowing problems.
In conclusion, the sign and symptoms of Alzheimer’s are in:
- New memory loss
- Problems in learning and remembering new information
- Deterioration in self-care and appearance
- Unable to have a concentration
- Unable to do an activities that need abstract thinking and activies that need assessment
- Progressive deterioration in memory, language, and mototric function
- Coordination disturbance
- Difficult to speak and write
- Personality changes like agitation, easy to angry.
- Woke up in midnight
- Emotional leap
Diagnostic examination plays important role of nursing homes for Alzheimer patients. Right diagnosis will guide health care worker in Alzheimer’s care. So the diagnosis as follow;
- The dianosis examination for alzheimer is based on acurat history from family member, mental status, neurological assessment, and psycometric test.
- Positron emition of Tomography scan can measure metabolic activity in cerebral cortex and it helps early diagnosisComputed tomograhpy scan shows progressive athropy of brain as a result of normal aging proses.
- Magnetic resonance imaging can terminate intracranial lesion that is a definite cause of dementia.
- Other tests can be done to determain other diseases. But Alzheimer cannot be cure till the patient pass away.
Treatment throught Medicines
- Anticholinesterase that acts on target like donepezil, rivastigmine, and galantamine for curing memory deficit and as a prevention of Alzheimer development. Memantine is reseptor antagonist of n-methyl-D-aspartic acid (NMDA) that is given for mild to moderate Alzheimer.
- Psychostimulator can be prescribed to improve the patient’s mood.
- Other medicines can be prescribed to handle the symptoms that has relation with behavior like anxious, depression, agitation, and insomnia.
Natural Cure for Alzheimer’s Disease
A good news for Alzheimer’s patients is that there are natural treatment for Alzheimer’s disease. These natural cure can effectively improve patients’ conditions.
Scientist recently found that some diet can be a cure for Alzheimer’s disease. According to UCLA study, mediterranean diet seems to be the best natural treatment for Alzheimer’s. Diet here play important role in keeping brain away from toxic plaques associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
What is toxic plaque? It is toxic protein called beta-amyloid. This toxic protein is in between nerve cells in the brain. And this plaque responsible for Alzheimer’s formation.The new research used PET imaging shows how lifestyle influence abnormal protein. Not only that, but also it can shrink the brain or atrophy in people with Alzheimer’s.
So how is Mediterranean diet?
Mediterranean diet for Alzheimer’s natural treatment include:
- Fresh colorful fruits and vegetables.
- Organic, unprocessed foods.
- Wild-caught fish.
- Foods high in zinc.
- Coconut oil.
- Olive oil.
- Nuts and seeds.
- Legumes and beans.
- Herbs and spices.
- Whole grains.
- Fresh fish and seafood.
- Eggs, cheese, goat milk, and probiotic.
- Red meat.
- Fresh water
- Coffee and tea
- Red wine.
Vitamins for Alzheimer’s
There are many suplement and vitamins for Alzheimer’s. But the best vitamins for Alzheimer’s is only vitamin D. Vitamin D which come from food or produced well in our skin when stimulated by sunlight, is essential for our brain health. People with lower level of vitamin D have a higher risk of Alzheimer’s. But vitamin D is usually safe when used as directed. Vitamin D is recomended for you, take vitamin D 5.000 IU daily and do not forget to be exposed in sunlight.
Nursing Homes for Alzheimer Patients
Now we are here, nursing homes for Alzheimer patients. If you want to know how to do nursing homes, whether you are a nurse or just a common people, you can try these nursing care guidances;
- Patients with Alzheimer’s usually lost their ability to do a activity daily living. If the patients are unable to dress, so you have to focus on patient’s supporting and teach them how to replace the deficit skills with new one. Just teach them step by step to do it.
- Patients are also unable to communicate well. You have to teach to use an effective communication of patient with family to help them on cognitive skill disturbances. You may use a communication, gestures, and intonation.
- Be patient and speak slowly.
- Keep your phrases in short, focus on one idea.
- Always use reminding word such as; “Your son, Jack . . . “
- Use your gesture and expression while you speak with Alzheimer’s patients.
- Give an emotional support for patient and family. Give them information about this disease, and suggest them to check the patient’s condition in health facilities.
- Give the patient safety environment. Support patient to do activities as mobility maintenances.
How to prevent Alzheimer’s?
Prevention is the best nursing homes for alzheimer patients. We should consider to prevent it than cure it. Nursing homes for alzheimer patients is nothing if we don’t suggest people to prevent Alzheimer’s before it is too late.
Excercise plays important role in Alzheimer’s preventer. Based on UCLA study, excercising or those who physically active on regular basis had lowest level of plaques on brain. It means that excercising can lower Alzheimer’s disease risk.Excercise is always better than sitting. If you have free time, burst training or high-intensity interval training is a great option for you. The bad news, we need more research wheather excercise is better to prevent Alzheimer’s or not. For now, just focus on any physical activiy and maintain your healthy body mass index range (BMI).
2. Your profession is your anti- Alzheimer’s Prevention
Did you know that certain jobs can protect our life from Alzheimer’s? Human basically is a social creature and work. Because of that, certain jobs can protect us against Alzheimer’s.
A research from Wisconsin Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center and Wisconsin Alzheimer’s Institute looked at 284 brain scans. Those 284 brain scans are brain scans of middle age people which is at risk for Alzheimer’s.
According to that research, scientists found that those who worked closely with people were able to tolerate brain damage better than whose who worked in more isolated settings in certain work places. Certain job like teachers and doctors seems to be in more social setting and those professions are better maintain cognitive function.
If you work in isolated work place and you cannot do much things to change is, just take extra steps to be as social as possible after work. You may take hours and day free to be social.
3. Avoid prescription and over-the-counter drugs
Certain drugs like Benadryl, Dramamine, Advil PM and Unison may liked to Alzheimer’s. Those pills have anticholinergic properties. It is increasingly linking to Alzheimer’s.A study in JAMA Neurology used MRI and PET scans shows anticholinergic drugs lower brain metabolism and trigger brain atrophy. Anticholinergic also led to worse scores on memory tests. Certain medicines like antidepressants, COPD and asthma medications could also fall in anticholinergic category. Therefore, if your condition really need this medications, please consult with your doctor or pharmacist to see alternatives medications.
4. Avoid antibiotic as possible as you can
Your gut is organ that always exposed with bacteria. In a study from University of Chicago, researchers found that long-term dose of antibiotics can changed gut bacteria of mice. Gut bacteria in that mice also shows reducing amyloid-beta protein in its brain.Based on that study, we should not always take antibiotics for every situation. We should consider about the infact to our brain. Just consult with your doctors and only take prescribed antibiotics.
5. Learn New Languages
It is really surprising that benefit of learning languages keep our brain healthier for longer and longer. A study of effect of bilingualism and dementia shows have found that people those who speak more than one language tend to have healthier brain and develop Alzheimer’s up to five years later than monolingual person.
Speaking more than one language is like excercising your brain and connect all of its synaps. So learning new languages keep your brain active and it can prevent Alzheimer well.